Most of the students lack employability skills: KRU V-C

Higher education has undergone a transformation in the last two decades in setting up of new institutions, but employability quotient has not improved, said Krishna University Vice-Chancellor V. Venkaiah.

Addressing participants at the two-day seminar on ‘Emerging trends in Indian writing in English in 21st century’ at the SDM Siddhartha Mahila Kalasala here on Tuesday, he quoted McKinsey report and pointed out that only 25 per cent of the general graduates and 15 per cent of the technical graduates were employable.

The country has 750 universities, 38,000 colleges, one million teachers and about 25 million students.

“In the last 10 years, the government has set up 23 Central Universities, seven Indian Institutes of Management, nine Indian Institute of Technology, 10 National Institute of Technology, five Indian Institute of Sciences, four IIITs and two schools of planning and architecture, but there is a huge gap between what is being churned out every year by the institutes and producing employable candidates,” said Prof. Venkaiah.

He was also critical about the government funding. Of the total funds allotted, 95 per cent is given to the top 5 per cent of the institutions and the remaining 5 per cent is shared by the rest of the 95 per cent, he said.

“However, we expect things to change with the initiation of RUSA (Rashtriya Ucchatar Shiksha Abhiyan)”, he said and urged the students to make best use of web-based open course software. “MIT itself has about 2,000 free online courses in its open course domain,” he informed the students.

He pointed out that domain or subject knowledge is important, but ability to cope up with the requirement of the market was equally essential.

Talking about skill sets, he advised the students to develop eight skill sets such as creative thinking, emotional thinking, emotional balance, communication skills, computer skills, decision making skills, interpersonal skills and time management.

Prof. Venkaiah urged the teachers not to just focus on imparting subject knowledge but emphasise on man making or character building education.


  • Venkaiah urges students to make best use of web-based open course software
  • Says of the total funds allotted, 95 per cent is given to the top 5 per cent of institutions



Tags: , , ,

About local2globe

Faculty of soft skills, personality development and Humanities. | Hang Time Blog

The official news blog of with commentary and analysis from's staff of writers.


A planet that doesn’t burn, a future that doesn’t suck


Startup and Technology News

The Meat & Potatoes of Life

By Lisa Smith Molinari

Attila Ovari

Loving Life and Inspiring Others

Hiking Photography

Beautiful photos of hiking and other outdoor adventures.

Fueled by Chocolate

Mostly Mildly Amusing Missives

On The Heath

where would-be writer works with words


Observations of life in France. By an adopted Française.

Cunning Hired Knaves

a jelly-like mass of liquid corruption


food and other morsels...

typical guy, atypical situation

a solid soul trapped inside a broken body

Cenaclul ROMANTICII (Migdale Marius)

Prolog: Poate că Iubirea nu face Pământul să se învârtă... Dar face ca scurta noastră călătorie prin viaţă să merite!

Life Is Like That

Man is only a pilgrim on Earth

C.B. Wentworth

Just following my muse . . .


creativity, news, reblogging, fun...:-)

Lyrical Anarchy

Poetic Justice!


I write about TV and movies. Also sometimes other stuff too.


finding new homes for old goodies

Memoirs of a Dragon

Dragon Thoughts and Quantum Musings

Book Hunger

Good Books and Inspirational Writing

Discovering Different

Like a Fortune Cookie... Without Calories

The Boston Harbor Picayune

The Boston Artists' Life on a Dime -An Online Newspaper

Suzy Blue

the blog


watercolour, drawings, art and paintings

Unconfirmed Bachelorette

Proudly living alone with cats

Good Time Stories

Inspiring and Heartwarming Stories


Fiction & invention are the fabric of life

The Punchy Lands!

Embrace Your PUNCHY Nature

CBS Las Vegas

News/Talk 840 AM KXNT

The Scene Stealer

Taking shots at life

The accidental Blog..

Thoughts... Whatever, whenever!


Sharing and expressing... through words.


life without erasers


The way I see it...

Mustard Seed Budget



Notes from the coast

Be Inspired! ...and Get ArtQuenched!

Quench Your Creative Thirst

Guitarist India

Kapil Srivastava - One of the Best Guitar Players & Top Authors

Word Wabbit

Wrestless Word Wrestler


Just another site

%d bloggers like this: