Who is Matthew Mullenweg? – heart of WordPress
That would be Matt Mullenweg, the 29-year-old at the “heart of WordPress”. With 60 million websites built with WordPress (including this one), it is by far the most popular blogging platform in the world.
From the beginning, Mullenweg has done business differently: WordPress was open-sourced , which means that the code was free to be developed by anybody who wanted to contribute. Mullenweg is also a vocal advocate of distributed work and 130 of Automattic’s 150 employees work outside of their San Francisco headquarters.
Let’s dig in and find out who Matt Mullenweg is, with an eye for learning from his innovative business strategies, productive work habits, and his best quotes.
- Born January 11, 1984
- Studied Political Science at The University of Houston before dropping out in 2004
- Founded Automattic in 2005, the company behind WordPress
- Matthew lives in San Francisco, CA but he travels as many as 200 days a year
- Hobbies include photography and music
- Mullenweg maintains his own blog, Ma.tt
- Why Matt Mullenweg is someone worth following… (lastmomstanding.com)
- Gazing Into the Looking Glass of WordPress (clarkwp.wordpress.com)
- Matt Mullenweg Discusses the Strength Behind an Open Source Company (tech.co)
- 19 percent of the web runs on WordPress (venturebeat.com)
- Jeffrey Zeldman is joining Automattic’s advisory board (poststat.us)