Google pitches in with tech support@Cyclone Phailin
State IT Minister Ponnala Laxmaiah told The Hindu here on Saturday that a team from Google had offered its solutions, particularly maps, to assist the government in rescue and rehabilitation of cyclone victims by sending out crisis alerts.
“We are working with Google in this aspect. We are mapping all relief camps, shelters and other prominent places that are supporting flood relief onto Google Maps,” Mr. Laxmaiah said.
The IT department has been coordinating with the Relief Commissioner to provide updated data on the relief camps to the Google team, so that they would be earmarked on Google Maps.
Mr. Laxmaiah said it would help people with internet access locate the closest relief camp in their area fairly easily. A dedicated Google page had been created for this:http://www.google.org/
Tracing the missing
There is also an application – People Finder – which would help people trace the missing after the cyclone. Anyone could make use of the application and record details of the person missing.
The application worked well during the Uttarakhand floods.
The Assistant Relief Commissioner and Chief Executive Officer of IT department would coordinate with Google and provide them all updated data from the Government side on a regular basis.
The internet giant is providing mapping solutions to the State government so that netizens can track relief camps and shelters in their area
- Google’s Person Finder and Google Crisis Response Map for Phailin to help with crisis information (dnaindia.com)
- Cyclone Phailin – critical information (vishwastamshukla.wordpress.com)
- Now Google Maps Display Multiple Routes on a Page (wingsdream.wordpress.com)
- Lamborghini Launches Exclusive Museum Indoor View on Google Maps (highsnobiety.com)
- Guide to Finding Cyclone Phailin Information Online : Google Person Finder, Twitter List..And More (nextbigwhat.com)